History

1895 In August the Remuera Bowling and Lawn Tennis Club was formed with twenty members.
A year later “lawn tennis” in the name was dropped
1895 Freehold land in Market Road, the same site of the Club today, was purchased.
1895 First official game played in December and the Club joined the Northern Bowling Association of New Zealand.
1906 The original Clubhouse (Pavilion) opened (now much altered).
1919 The Hart Cup for singles handicap play was established, a competition still played today.
1945 Members agreed to renovate the Clubhouse, which included covering in the balconies, very little alteration had been made to the pavilion since its creation in 1906.
1996 A major redevelopment was undertaken which included a new green, off-road parking with a driveway from Dromorne Road, a large implement shed and garage and a Greenkeeper’s cottage. This followed the sale of some of the Club’s land and an existing cottage.
1997 Two artificial greens replaced the existing greens in front of the Clubhouse, allowing members to enjoy all year round bowling.
2000 After 105 years as a men only club, women were admitted as full members.
2005 Renovation of the upstairs dining room, the installation of a lift and an inside staircase and a new entrance from the car park further enhanced the Clubhouse.
2011 Refurbishment of Main Lounge and extension of Kitchen facilities downstairs.

Remuera Bowling Club

Centennial Year Opening Day
September 16 1995

Remuera Bowling Club

Circa 1930s